Another Snowy Night

Another Snowy Night
Walhalla Driveway - January 7, 2010

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Strangers In A Strange Land: Alex McDonell Memorial Service, November 16, 2009

Reflective Notes
Clay Lowe: A drawing together of the life as a journey metaphor.

Alex McDonell Memorial Service
12 noon, Monday, November 16,2009
Coleman & Daniels Funeral Home
Endicott, New York


1. The Book of Ruth
Read copy online: http://www.readbookonline.net/title/16634/

Ruth 1:16 And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:

Ruth 1:17 Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.

(Self-evident re-iteration of what it takes to survive in a world where we have all wandered away from home.)


2. The Biography of a Grizzly

Ernest Thompson Seton

By A Customer (Amazon.com)
I acquired this book at age 9-10. Now, at age 75, I really miss it (it was "borrowed" 20-30 yrs ago). My nostalgic memory is of a haunting,memorable, and very literate tale of an excellent bear-person, who resolutely faces what life offers; infancy & vulnerability; growth & education, maturity & strength, suffering fools and agressors, and finally, decline and mortality. Seton's magic is to dissolve completely the artificial barrier between nature's creatures and ourselves.

(A paradigm novel that deeply influenced my own ideas about the struggle to survive and at the same time find yourself in the process . . . Clay Lowe)


The Biography of a Grizzly



3. Stranger in a Strange Land

Robert A. Heinlen, 1961 (Hugo Award-winning science fiction novel)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stranger_in_a_Strange_Land

(The novel that became the hippie's guide to coming to an understanding about how we are all strangers in search of a new land . . . Clay Lowe)


Stranger in a Strange Land cover






|


No comments:

Post a Comment